Our Commitment to Low Income Uninsured Patients
In recent years, the affiliates of Sutter Health have made great strides in better serving our communities by working together to identify and adopt best practices. In February 2004, Sutter Health affiliates took another important step in this direction by bringing greater and more thoughtful consistency to patient charity care and payment collection practices in the communities we serve.
Sutter Health's new policy provides fair discounts and catastrophic protection to low income uninsured patients and ensures consistent and fair collection practices while preserving the financial viability that is key to preserving and growing services in the communities we serve.
The Sutter Health Charity Care and Low Income Uninsured Program is designed to:
- Provide full charity care to low income uninsured patients earning less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Income Guideline (FPIG).
- Example: 200% of the FPIG level for a family of four equals an annual income of $44,100 (2009).
- Provide discounts limiting their payment to the equivalent of Medicare reimbursement for our low income uninsured patients earning between 201% and 400% of the FPIG.
- Example: $44,100-$88,200 a year for a family of four - 2009 PFIG.
- Provide catastrophic protection to low income uninsured patients by limiting their payment liability to 30% of their annual household income. Enhance communication of available assistance by expanding communication channels.
Our standardized collection practices prohibit wage garnishments and bench warrants, and prohibits property foreclosures.
For more detailed information, to receive answers to your questions, or to apply, please (707) 262-5184.