Family Birth Center
We are there for you when life begins
Childbirth is a profound right of passage… there will never be another birth like the one you experience.
The Family Birth Center at Sutter Lakeside Hospital recognizes and honors the uniqueness of every birth and supports each family in creating an environment that best meets their personal, physical, emotional and technological needs.
- Private and spacious labor & delivery rooms
- In-room sleeping accommodations for family members
- Private bathrooms with shower or shower-tub accommodations
- “At Your Request” room dining service which provides patients the freedom to choose meal options from the in-room menu at their preferred meal times.
See our Childbirth Education Class Schedule
The SLH Family Birth Center nurses support and nurture the parent/infant bond through our family-centered approach to care. We recognize the importance of the family unit and have designed our nursing care, processes and labor & delivery around the needs of the mother, infant and her support group. Our goal is to encourage and facilitate a cohesive bonding experience throughout labor and in the immediate post partum period through discharge from the hospital.
Our family-centered care is provided by a team of highly experienced and compassionate nurses. Each shift an individual nurse is assigned to each family unit. This model of care reduces the institutional need to separate mothers’/families from their babies at this critical bonding time in their lives. Research has shown multiple benefits of family centered nursing care and include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides an environment for the parents to learn about their newborn’s responses and sleep-wake cycle
- Facilitates earlier establishment of biological rhythms with flexible feeding and sleeping according to individual newborn’s needs
- Fosters successful breast feeding and, thus, aids in postpartum healing
- Decreases the incidence of infection
- Provides individualized, one-to-one attention
- Promotes the parents role and parental/infant attachment
- Increases educational opportunities
- Fosters continuity of care and reduction of confusion or messages between caregivers
- Increases maternal/parental self-confidence in the care of the newborn.
Breastfeeding has many challenges that can arise at any time, even up to 6 months after birth. The SLH Family Birth Center staffs two certified lactation specialists who work with new mothers to ensure successful breastfeeding while in the hospital and at home after discharge.
The certified lactation consultants are available to new mothers 7 days a week by phone, email or in-person by appointment.
All About Your Pregnancy
From pre-conception to taking care of your newborn
Visit our special web site dedicated to teaching you about pregnacy, childbirth and caring for your newborn.
At this special Web site, you can:
- Observe Fetal Development - See what your developing baby looks like each month
- Get Answers to Your Questions - Find information on pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Use our Breastfeeding Resources - See tips on breastfeeding success
Take the tour!
You can take a virtual tour of one of our labor and delivery rooms. Call the Family Birth Center at (707) 262-5085 for more information or to schedule a private tour.
“The nurses and physicians at the Family Birth Center are compassionate, competent professionals dedicated to providing you with a rewarding birthing experience." – Jackie Rad, RNC, Family Birth Center Clinical Coordinator